It covers over two thirds of the planet and makes up large parts of our body, but water is often overlooked in terms of health and performance. Let’s have a look at the clear stuff – it can sometimes be the key to helping modern day issues ( for free) ..
Tired or fatigued?
Dehydration is more common than we think and this can often be the problem here. Water helps to transport oxygen through the body and also relieves some work on the heart.
All that time and energy working out can be made much easier with adequate hydration. Water helps prevent cramps, helps lubricate joints and will ensure we can work harder for longer. Evidence has shown a 2% loss in hydration equates to a 10% loss in performance – that’s a lot!
It’s possible that water aids weight loss in a number of ways. Firstly it’s shown to boost metabolism. Secondly it helps in making us feel full and it’s often thirst not hunger we feel when we snack in between meals. Thirdly if the body is dehydrated this can be seen as a temporary emergency state – and how is the body expected to burn body fat in this state? Fair point.
And if you need any more convincing..
Among the endless list of benefits, good hydration with improve your skin through plumping the cells and helping flush away waste products. Digestion is much improved with good hydration as well as general kidney function. We tend to get headaches and fuzzy thinking if we don’t drink enough. And, essentially every chemical reaction that takes place in the body requiring it to be finely balanced take place in..yep you guessed it water.
Tips for good hydration
- 1.5 – 2 litres per day is still the recommended intake. If your fruit and veg consumption is good this may contribute around half a litre.
- If you consume caffeinated products, alcohol, exercise regularly or work in heat drink more!
- Carry a large water bottle with you all day, everywhere!
- Check wee wee colour! It should be pale or clear except for first thing.
- Drink before you get thirsty – thirst is a sign you are dehydrated.
- Don’t kid yourself – only the clear stuff will do.