This time of year especially, training outside is surely the way to go. When the weather is this good, it seems almost rude to be inside the gym slogging away on a treadmill. There is more to Fitness on Bournemouth Beach than just running for those who can’t or don’t want to do so.
- Many of us tend to live within a decent distance from the beach, otherwise you may have to drive, run or cycle as part of your workout. This works well.
- Check the weather online before you go and get the right kit on.
- Take some water, or use the taps that are dotted along the seafront to hydrate
- For many cycling is a much easier option – you will cover more distance as well.
- Power walking is excellent exercise. You can even carry some weight or walk on sand for a tougher option.
- If running, don’t get stuck into running on the flat. Use some of the many zig zags and pier approached available to add variety and intensity.
- The seafront is littered with benches, steps, groynes etc. Use these from press ups, step ups and dips – or be as creative as you like.
- You can even combine – a cycle to the beach, some power walking, step ups and press ups followed by a cycle home is an awesome workout.
Simon Lesser works as a Personal Trainer in Bournemouth and Poole, Dorset. See more info at www.simonlesser.co.uk.