Another year, another resolution, another chance to re assess your fitness goals. Personally I think this is a good thing – we run busy lives and it’s easy to get distracted or feel overwhelmed.
Here are a few examples of fitness goals that may help to inspire you. Remember goal setting needs to be measurable and attainable without being too easy. Simply ‘get fitter’ or ‘lose a bit of flab’ does not cut it. Often some sort of in built reward will help..
- Always wanted to play a particular sport? Use that as motivation – this could be set out as…get fit in the gym until May or lose that excess 2 stone around the middle, then join the local tennis club and have coaching through the summer.
- Weight loss – this could be as simple as, overhaul the diet and increase training levels with a goal measurement, then book a holiday at the end to show off that new body!
- Swimming is a fantastic way to get fit – maybe a block of swimming lessons would help, and while you’re at it book the pier to pier swim in the summer.
- The same could be said for running. Start now and build up through a number of events to run a half marathon later in the year.
- Often we see people about to have kids, or grand kids. Suddenly they realize they aren’t going to keep up, they want to live longer and also set a good example to their offspring. This is a powerful goal which can easily be achieved even on an hour or two a week.
- Many goals can be easily broken down into smaller goals. The ultimate goal may be to become a decent cyclist and compete. This may take months of leg work, mileage building on the bike, flexibility, bike handling skills etc.
The list here is endless, but the message is clear. Having a motivational reason to improve fitness really helps and it has to be personal to you. Now is the time to think where we want to be in 6 months, then act on it.
See you in the summer, peace I’m outta here!
For Personal Training in the Bournemouth area which offers more motivation, fitness and nutritional advice visit the website www.bourne-fit.co.uk